Problem found. Anyone got a spare?
Pentium
2007-02-21 02:06:34 UTC
After almost a full year (yes, I have no life) of searching and
troubleshooting I traced the boot problem in my Personal Iris 4D/20 to
the WDC33C93 scsi controller,
While it was working (to a degree) the drives as usual it in fact was
half dead. It couldn't even see the tape drive (as a drive that could
be booted from) and would not allow a boot from anything (a good
booting drive with 4.0.5 was missing the volume header when the PI
tried to use it). It has since been desoldered and removed (and a chip
socket put in place so I never have to solder it ever again). Now I am
out looking for a replacement. I have a bud on nekochan who is looking
into a controller on a 4D/35 but I want to be near the same model (4D/
20 or 25). I really don't want to toss this system because it was the
first unix system I ever used (at the age of five may I say). Would
anyone have a dead IP6 board (or the likes) and be willing to desolder
and mail me the controller?

Thanks.

PS: Do not try to say that the problem might lie somewhere else. Every
other component has been tested and I just want to get this thing
running. Besides, my room is cold and I need the heat. ;)
Pentium
2007-02-21 02:48:43 UTC
Our victim:

If that fails to link:

[url]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ballsandy/personal%20iris/
WD33C93.jpg[/url]
Pentium
2007-02-24 04:57:35 UTC
Nobody?

: (
Emmanuel Florac
2007-02-24 12:00:10 UTC
Post by Pentium
Nobody?
: (
Well, did you try ebay? Personal IRISes are getting really uncommon now...
--
Toutes les organisations ont leur règles, et les Femmes Algériennes
doivent avoir aussi leurs règles.
Aït Ahmed.
Pentium
2007-02-24 17:11:33 UTC
Post by Emmanuel Florac
Post by Pentium
Nobody?
: (
Well, did you try ebay? Personal IRISes are getting really uncommon now...
--
Toutes les organisations ont leur règles, et les Femmes Algériennes
doivent avoir aussi leurs règles.
Aït Ahmed.
Yep, That's the first place I checked.
All I could find was a drivesled and a multiport VME board.
BG
2007-02-24 20:32:21 UTC
try www.nekochan.net, the biggest SGI enthusiasts site , they've got
very active forums and very helpful :)

cheers!
BG
Pentium
2007-02-25 07:58:24 UTC
trywww.nekochan.net, the biggest SGI enthusiasts site , they've got
very active forums and very helpful :)
cheers!
BG
I'm already a member there :)
One guy named SAQ is attempting to pull one from his 4D/35 but he
needs time die to the wrong soldering iron.
I just want to see if anyone else outside of nekochan is willing to
help me out.
Gary Heston
2007-02-25 16:52:34 UTC
Post by Pentium
trywww.nekochan.net, the biggest SGI enthusiasts site , they've got
very active forums and very helpful :)
I'm already a member there :)
One guy named SAQ is attempting to pull one from his 4D/35 but he
needs time die to the wrong soldering iron.
I just want to see if anyone else outside of nekochan is willing to
help me out.
Do a web search on the part number. I see ten hits for parts suppliers,
and a few indicating that the same part was used in the Amiga 3000.
Perhaps you can find an old A3000 at a thrift store or somewhere.

Gary
--
Gary Heston ***@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"The message should go out loud and clear that we are a tolerant country
and we will not tolerate racism in this country." Tony Blair, UK PM
Pentium
2007-02-25 18:39:37 UTC
Post by Gary Heston
Do a web search on the part number. I see ten hits for parts suppliers,
and a few indicating that the same part was used in the Amiga 3000.
Perhaps you can find an old A3000 at a thrift store or somewhere.
Gary
--
"The message should go out loud and clear that we are a tolerant country
and we will not tolerate racism in this country." Tony Blair, UK PM
Well I really don't want to ruin an amiga (at least a running one) and
some of those chip prices are a little steep.
I always run rules on dogs like this:
Unless you are completely positive the part you need is the right
part, do not pay more than the unit was worth.
In this case, $75.
I really just want someone to pull a chip from one if their dead
systems and ust send it over in a static-proof bag. I really don't
have the money to buy and ship another IP6 module.
sadness
2007-02-26 15:00:40 UTC
Post by Pentium
Well I really don't want to ruin an amiga (at least a running one) and
some of those chip prices are a little steep.
You can find a wd 33c93a wich is pin compatibile with the 33c93 on
http://www.vesalia.de for around 4$ (for the 02 revision, more for a -03,
04 or -08) plus shipping cost, and you can pay with paypal.
Hope this help.
sadness at unsupported.info
Pentium
Oh thank you!
Michael Laajanen
sadness at unsupported.info
Oh thank you!
Hope you managed to get the IC.

Just some hits if you have more problems like this, I work as a HW
Designer and work alot with Industry and Military customers and we
always locate rare IC using brokers on the net, we have never failed
failed so far.

/michael

PS on a old system like that you probably can use a socket on the PCB
when reassembling the PCB DS.
Pentium
2007-03-02 04:38:43 UTC
Post by Michael Laajanen
Hope you managed to get the IC.
Just some hits if you have more problems like this, I work as a HW
Designer and work alot with Industry and Military customers and we
always locate rare IC using brokers on the net, we have never failed
failed so far.
/michael
PS on a old system like that you probably can use a socket on the PCB
when reassembling the PCB DS.
If you mean install a socket for the chip I did that as soon as I
could find a spare socket.
Yes, I bought a chip for the price of $10 and now I wait for it in the
mail.
Unless there is a difference between the WD33C93 and the WD33C93A This
thing will be up and running by my birthday (march 11).
Michael Laajanen
2007-03-02 14:16:56 UTC
Post by Pentium
Post by Michael Laajanen
Hope you managed to get the IC.
Just some hits if you have more problems like this, I work as a HW
Designer and work alot with Industry and Military customers and we
always locate rare IC using brokers on the net, we have never failed
failed so far.
/michael
PS on a old system like that you probably can use a socket on the PCB
when reassembling the PCB DS.
If you mean install a socket for the chip I did that as soon as I
could find a spare socket.
Fine, just remember that on speedy IC's sockets could cause
problems(stability) which was what I ment.
Post by Pentium
Yes, I bought a chip for the price of $10 and now I wait for it in the
mail.
Unless there is a difference between the WD33C93 and the WD33C93A This
thing will be up and running by my birthday (march 11).
wishing you a very happy birthday then :)

/michael
Pentium
2007-03-10 00:44:58 UTC
WHAT THE HELL?!
I get the chip today and they sent me the wrong chip!
I was given the WD37C65B-PL and not the WD33C93A-PL I actually
ordered!
That means that all the system does is hang with the error on th e
serial console:

LIO interrupt status indicates interrupt(s) pending, 0x6deb

Now what?! Obviously I am going to yell at them.
Michael Laajanen
2007-03-13 19:32:04 UTC
Post by Pentium
WHAT THE HELL?!
I get the chip today and they sent me the wrong chip!
I was given the WD37C65B-PL and not the WD33C93A-PL I actually
ordered!
That means that all the system does is hang with the error on th e
LIO interrupt status indicates interrupt(s) pending, 0x6deb
Now what?! Obviously I am going to yell at them.
What do they say about wrong shipment?

/michael
Pentium
2007-03-13 23:50:32 UTC
Post by Michael Laajanen
What do they say about wrong shipment?
/michael
It's nearly been a week since it arrived and I have yet to hear from
them.
Now I am really getting pissed off.
Pentium
2007-03-16 00:49:41 UTC
They replied today.
They are sending another chip at no cost to me and I can keep the
incorrect chip.
I'm crossing my fingers it's the right one this time.