Octane2 Vpro based on GeForce2?
<<>>
2003-08-09 06:58:57 UTC
Recently I've heard that the V6/V8/V10/V12 uses a modified
GeForce2/Quadro2 chip from nVidia.

I had thought that only the V3/VR3/V5/V7/VR7 cards for the x86 machines
used nVidia graphics and that the Octane2 graphics were designed by SGI.

Can anyone confirm or deny any of this?

Chris
--
#include <disclaimer.h>
***@hotmail.com
Wolfgang Szoecs

wolfgang
Timo Kanera
2003-08-09 14:22:22 UTC
Post by <<>>
Recently I've heard that the V6/V8/V10/V12 uses a modified
GeForce2/Quadro2 chip from nVidia.
Odyssey is SGI technology. All this confusion is simply caused by the
fact that SGI marketing decided to call it VPro too, just like the
NVidia based cards in the x86 "workstations" by that time.

Unfortunately its hard to kill that rumour off as it seems. German heise
newsticker (heise is publisher of some rather highly respected computer
magazines) again was talking about "still Geforce2 based V12 graphics"
when they covered the new SGI machines lately. Luckily they corrected that
mistake a few hours later..

so long,
Timo
Timo Kanera . mailto:***@kanera.de
Assam Syrix
Wolfgang from sgi just confirmed it, though...
Assam Syrix
2003-08-10 15:34:09 UTC
Post by Assam Syrix
Post by Timo Kanera
Post by <<>>
Recently I've heard that the V6/V8/V10/V12 uses a modified
GeForce2/Quadro2 chip from nVidia.
Odyssey is SGI technology. All this confusion is simply caused by the
fact that SGI marketing decided to call it VPro too, just like the
NVidia based cards in the x86 "workstations" by that time.
Unfortunately its hard to kill that rumour off as it seems. German
heise newsticker (heise is publisher of some rather highly respected
computer magazines) again was talking about "still Geforce2 based V12
graphics" when they covered the new SGI machines lately. Luckily they
corrected that mistake a few hours later..
so long,
Timo
Wolfgang from sgi just confirmed it, though...
Actually, I think he confirmed that they aren't based on
nVidia...confusing...
César Blecua Udías

***@ono.com
Wolfgang Szoecs
2003-08-14 07:12:16 UTC
Post by Assam Syrix
Actually, I think he confirmed that they aren't based on
nVidia...confusing...
right - Odyssey gfx (aka Vpro) is a pure SGI development and not
used in any non-SGI hardware till now.

And as the XIO connectivity is also on-chip -
I'm not sure what you need to smoke to get it compatible with AGP or PCI :-)

wolfgang

Colin Anderson
2003-08-10 21:29:58 UTC
Post by <<>>
Recently I've heard that the V6/V8/V10/V12 uses a modified
GeForce2/Quadro2 chip from nVidia.
I had thought that only the V3/VR3/V5/V7/VR7 cards for the x86 machines
used nVidia graphics and that the Octane2 graphics were designed by SGI.
Can anyone confirm or deny any of this?
Octane2/Fuel/Tezro VPro "Odyssey" graphics were designed by SGI.

x86 PC VPro GeForce/Quadro graphics (V3/VR3/V5, etc) were designed by
NVIDIA.

Depending on who tells the story, GeForce and Odyssey were born out of
the same original project at SGI. The similarities end there, however.
GeForce was designed by NVIDIA for the game-playing, DVD-watching home
user and has a fillrate emphasis. Odyssey was designed by SGI for cad,
modeling, vis-sim, and video production users. V12 has pretty serious
real-world geometry power, even by current standards. 48 bit color and
several other features make it a powerful, balanced gfx pipe for video
work (Piranha, various Discreet apps, MuleHD).

About the only thing GeForce and Odyssey have in common is the concept
of a single-chip "GPU". The design/architecture, interface, and
feature sets are very different.