personal iris won't boot
pentium
2006-08-26 00:06:00 UTC
Hi there.
I recently received a personal iris 4D/20 from my fathers old office.
it did not include the manuals or tapes but was otherwise complete. The
first thing I did with it after draging the thing home was give it a
well needed cleaning. While cleaning i nticed a jumper fall out of the
electronics module. I didn't think much of it until it came booting
time. The last time I used it which was 6 years ago it ran fine and was
rarely used. After diagnostics i found out that device one (the hard
drive) had failed it's dma test. Now it could not boot let alone even
see the contents of the drive. I tried several other scsi drives on
different addresses and combinations but each time the drive failed
it's dma test. I then noticed that the led's on the graphics side of
the board blinked whenever something happened with the scsi bus. I am
guessing that that missing jumper is causing a conflict and not
allowing hard drive related to work. The system has no problems with a
sony MO drive, the tape drive and a cd drive. However the system thinks
the tape is a disk drive. Another error which I shrugged off because it
has never been a problem was that the the ethernet loopback test
failed. Anyways, I am wondering if anyone can help me and if possible,
supply me with the jumper configurations for the system.

Thanks.
Sergey Zak
Thanks.
pentium
2006-11-06 02:18:31 UTC
Hi all.
I know it's been a while since I made this but I found the problem.
Hardware wise, there was nothing wrong.
Software wise there is.
The volume header partition is completely trashed and thus sash, ide
and pretty much everything else on that partition is gone. A quick
check on my linux system (without mounting because I don't know how)
shows that the other partitions are fine and the systems detects them.
I now need to find a tape set of irix 3.3 or irix 4.0.5 which might
have been the last version installed. All I need to do is get the
system to boot so I can backup what else is on the drive then I can
completely wipe and clean-slate reinstall irix.

Anyone got irix 3.3 or 4.0.5 on hand?
-ks
2006-11-08 00:12:27 UTC
Post by pentium
Hi all.
I know it's been a while since I made this but I found the problem.
Hardware wise, there was nothing wrong.
Software wise there is.
The volume header partition is completely trashed and thus sash, ide
and pretty much everything else on that partition is gone. A quick
check on my linux system (without mounting because I don't know how)
shows that the other partitions are fine and the systems detects them.
I now need to find a tape set of irix 3.3 or irix 4.0.5 which might
have been the last version installed. All I need to do is get the
system to boot so I can backup what else is on the drive then I can
completely wipe and clean-slate reinstall irix.
Anyone got irix 3.3 or 4.0.5 on hand?
I do, both on tape. Also 4.0.1 and the 4.0.5 update on CD. Email sent.